Tigers Make Historic Run in Playoffs with Legendary Play

AHS_Wiley Hug

Photographer Krista Dye captured this image of Arlington Tigers Head Coach Chris Wiley congratulating senior receiver Jackson Boring after he caught the game-winning touchdown.

It’s kind of like one of those legendary fishing stories. You know what I’m talking about. The fish just keeps getting bigger and bigger. Ten years from now, the pass from freshman quarterback Tate Kolwyck to senior receiver Jackson Boring for the game winner in the second round of the play-offs against the Houston Mustangs, will be said to have been heaved 60 yards with all his might, bouncing off a Mustang defender 10 feet in the air dramatically falling into the outstretched hands of Jackson Boring. Close enough is what I’ll say. The fact is the Tigers were victorious in the second round play-off game for the first time in school history, defeating Houston 34-32. Truth be told, it was 26 yards and the ball bounced straight into Jackson’s waiting arms. But it doesn’t take away from the drama that was an exciting football game from start to finish.

The Tigers earned the right to play in this game by finishing the regular season 8-2 with an undefeated district record of 5-0. They would host Bartlett as a number two seed in the first round in the far west bracket of the 6A TSSAA State Playoffs. The Tigers easily handled the Panthers, 40-25 led by a strong running game spearheaded by Junior tailback Keelon Webber who had 164 yards on 23 carries with two TD’s. This would set up the second round match-up with the Mustangs (10-1) who were victorious in the first round against Collierville, 35-28.

The second round game was back and forth with the Tigers always holding on to the slimmest of leads because of a blocked extra point after the Mustang’s first touchdown in the first quarter to bring the game to 7-6. The Tigers got stellar play out of their junior receiver Bryan Lewis, who had 9 catches for 137 yards and two TD’s.

Freshman Quarterback Tate Kolwyck, who had struggled late in the season, had a breakout game going 20-31 for 296 yards and 4 TD passes. None were bigger than the last. The Mustangs had taken the lead 32-28 after a fumble recovery and TD pass of 29 yards late in the fourth quarter. The Tigers had to stop the Mustangs on fourth and two with 52 seconds left in the game to have an opportunity to drive 64 yards for a game winning touchdown.

With just seven second left, the Tigers were on the Mustang 36 yard line. Kolwyck fires a pass down the sideline for Everett Mitchell, who was interfered with by a Mustang defender as time rans out. The flag came out and it was a ten yard penalty, moving the ball to the 26 yard line. The game cannot end on a defensive penalty which left one untimed down. And folks, the rest is history.

The Tigers will go on the road to play the Whitehaven Tigers (12-0) in their first ever Quarterfinal appearance. More history to be made, stay tuned.

UPDATE: The Arlington Tigers fell to  Whitehaven, 35-28, ending their season.
–Walt McTyre is a commentator on the Arlington Radio Network.


Comments are closed.

  • Local Weather