Plough Foundation Announces $2 Million Challenge Grant for West Tennessee Veterans Home

Group Seeks to Raise a Total of $24.5 Million by July 2016

Pell City Exterior

Exterior View of Pell City, Alabama Veterans Home. The Arlington Veterans Home is planned to be a very similar design. Photo courtesy of West Tennessee Veterans Home, Inc.

Memphis-based Plough Foundation has announced the awarding of a $2 million dollar challenge grant to West Tennessee Veterans Home, Inc., (WTVH) for the construction of a local state veterans home. In announcing the grant, Diane Rudner, Chair of the Plough Board Trustees, noted that veterans have special needs when it comes to receiving the long-term care and rehabilitation therapy that this skilled nursing facility will provide.

“So many of our veterans have put their lives on the line in places around the world only to come home with few options for rehabilitation and high-quality long-term care,” said Rudner. “It is our hope that this challenge will urge others in the business and philanthropic community to join with local, state and federal governments to build a facility worthy of our veterans’ sacrifices.”

More than 70,000 veterans live in the Fayette, Shelby and Tipton Counties, but the nearest rehabilitation and long-term care facility for veterans is in Humboldt, Tennessee more than 100 miles away. For more information on the planned 144-bed facility, click here to read our May 2015 article, Arlington Site Selected for New Veterans Home.

State and local sources must provide 35% of the $65 million total funds for construction by July 2016 for the federal government to provide the remaining 65%. According to a statement from the WTVH, the non-profit’s goal of the $24.5 million needed is $15 million; the state of Tennessee will supply the balance. With this grant, the WTVH has raised just over $4 million, about 27% of their goal.

Holly Swogger, President of WTVH expressed gratitude and appreciation for this generous challenge saying, “It is a distinct honor and privilege for Plough Foundation to support our efforts to provide this facility for our local veterans.”

WTVH is a local 501(c)(3) comprised entirely of volunteers who have initiated and advocated for the building of this facility. Once built the facility will be self-supporting and administered by the Tennessee State Veterans Homes Board. Swogger mentioned that with the Plough Foundation grant of $2 million, $10 million pledged by the State of Tennessee and Shelby County Government’s commitment of $2 million, WTVH is confident it can raise the remaining funds.

A separate account will be established to accept donations for the construction on the facility. For more information, visit www.veterans-home.com or facebook.com/WestTNVeteransHome.

Comments are closed.